New User Promotion Access Program Now Open
CROSS-Tokai is now accepting proposals and expressions of interest for access to the neutron Public Beamlines at J-PARC MLF.
About the CROSS-Tokai New User Promotion Access Program
A core component of the CROSS-Tokai mission is to promote the use of, and facilitate access to, the neutron Public Beamlines at J-PARC MLF. With this motivation, CROSS-Tokai offers the New User Promotion Access Program that aims to encourage and support first-time and novice users of neutron-based experimental techniques.
The specific objectives of the New User Promotion Program are:
- To grow the user community: and
- To promote the use and utility of pulsed neutrons.
The New User Promotion Access Program is open to:
- First time and novice users of neutron-based experimental techniques; and/or
- First time users of J-PARC・MLF neutron facility
What the New User Promotion Access Program Provides
The New User Promotion Access Program, via the CROSS-Tokai Science Coordinators and other members of our Neutron R&D Division offers support through the whole process of facility utilization including:
- Choice of appropriate experimental technique and instrument;
- Proposal preparation;
- Experiment design, planning and execution;
- Data analysis and interpretation; and
- Publication of results
Beamlines Accessible via the New User Promotion Program
The New User Promotion Access Program applies only to the seven Public Beamlines of J-PARC・MLF that are supported by CROSS-Tokai:
- BL01 4SEASONS ? 4D-Space Access Neutron Spectrometer
- BL02 DNA ? Biomolecular Dynamics Spectrometer
- BL11 PLANET ? High-Pressure Neutron Diffractometer
- BL15 TAIKAN ? Small and Wide Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument
- BL17 SHARAKU ? Polarized Neutron Reflectometer
- BL18 SENJU ? Extreme Environment Single Crystal Neutron Diffractometer
- BL22 RADEN ? Energy-Dispersive Neutron Imagine System
The 2016A Operations Period
Deadline for 2016A operation period is 16th Oct, 2015.
Proposals that are successful in the 2016A round will be allocated beamtime during the period April – October 2016.
Proposals recieved after the deadline will be accepted for 2016 B period.
How to Apply to the New User Promotion Access Program
The first step in making an application to the New User Promotion Access Program is to contact CROSS-Tokai.
The easiest way to make contact and submit and enquiry is via CROSShelp.
How the New User Promotion Program works
- Assessment of suitability
Following initial contact, the research proposal will be assessed by a CROSS-Tokai Science Coordinator for suitability to be accepted within the New User Promotion Program.
- Proposal work up
If the research proposal is assessed to be appropriate for the New User Promotion Program, a member of the CROSS-Tokai team will work with the applicant to develop an experimental plan and a full research proposal that will be submitted under the normal General User program of J-PARC?MLF via the online proposal submission system.
- Proposal Assessment
Applications submitted to the New User Promotion Program are reviewed in the same way and to the same standard as proposals submitted in the General User program of the MLF.
Proposals approved under the New User Promotion Program will receive a beamtime allocation from the 5% of beamtime that is set aside for New User Promotion proposals on each of the Public Beamlines in each operations period.
- If a proposal is deemed not to qualify for consideration under the New User Promotion Program, applicants are encouraged to submit their proposal through the general Use program.
- Even if a proposal does not qualify for access under the New User Promotion Program, the team at CROSS-Tokai are available to assist with proposal preparation and any aspect of experiment planning.
We welcome all enquiries and look forward to hearing from you!