New User Promotion Now Open
CROSS is now accepting proposals and expressions of interest for access to the neutron Public Beamlines at J-PARC MLF.
About the CROSS New User Promotion
A core component of the CROSS mission is to promote the use of, and facilitate access to, the neutron Public Beamlines at J-PARC MLF. With this motivation, CROSS offers the New User Promotion that aims to encourage and support first-time and novice users of neutron-based experimental techniques.
The specific objectives of the New User Promotion are:
- To grow the user community: and
- To promote the use and utility of pulsed neutrons.
The New User Promotion is open to:
- First time and novice users of neutron-based experimental techniques; and/or
- First time users of J-PARC・MLF neutron facility
What the New User Promotion Provides
The New User Promotion, via the CROSS Science Coordinators and other members of our Neutron R&D Division offers support through the whole process of facility utilization including:
- Choice of appropriate experimental technique and instrument;
- Proposal preparation;
- Experiment design, planning and execution;
- Data analysis and interpretation; and
- Publication of results
Beamlines Accessible via the New User Promotion
The New User Promotion applies only to the seven Public Beamlines of J-PARC・MLF that are supported by CROSS:
- BL01 4SEASONS 4D-Space Access Neutron Spectrometer
- BL02 DNA Biomolecular Dynamics Spectrometer
- BL11 PLANET High-Pressure Neutron Diffractometer
- BL15 TAIKAN Small and Wide Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument
- BL17 SHARAKU Polarized Neutron Reflectometer
- BL18 SENJU Extreme Environment Single Crystal Neutron Diffractometer
- BL22 RADEN Energy-Dispersive Neutron Imagine System
How to Apply to the New User Promotion
The first step in making an application to the New User Promotion is to contact CROSS.
The easiest way to make contact and submit and enquiry is via CROSShelp.
How the New User Promotion works
- Assessment of suitability
Following initial contact, the research proposal will be assessed by a CROSS Science Coordinator for suitability to be accepted within the New User Promotion.
- Proposal work up
If the research proposal is assessed to be appropriate for the New User Promotion, a member of the CROSS team will work with the applicant to develop an experimental plan and a full research proposal that will be submitted under the normal General User program of J-PARC MLF via the online proposal submission system.
- Proposal Assessment
Applications submitted to the New User Promotion are reviewed in the same way and to the same standard as proposals submitted in the General User program of the MLF.
Proposals approved under the New User Promotion will receive a beamtime allocation from the 5% of beamtime that is set aside for New User Promotion proposals on each of the Public Beamlines in each operations period.
- If a proposal is deemed not to qualify for consideration under the New User Promotion, applicants are encouraged to submit their proposal through the general Use program.
- Even if a proposal does not qualify for access under the New User Promotion, the team at CROSS are available to assist with proposal preparation and any aspect of experiment planning.
We welcome all enquiries and look forward to hearing from you!