Announcement from The 9th AONSA/The 2nd Neutron and Muon School
The School provides training for newcomers to neutron and muon beam research from across the fields of physics, chemistry, biology, materials science and more. In addition to lectures, practical sessions are included with hands-on experiments and data analysis. All neutron techniques are generally covered, with emphasis on powder diffraction, single-crystal diffraction, strain scanning, small-angle scattering, reflectometry, inelastic and quasielastic scattering, and neutron imaging.
The School will be held at the Materials and Life Science Experimental Facility (MLF) of J-PARC. J-PARC is one of Japan's flagship research facilities and is unique in the world in the range and performance of accelerator-based capabilities. MLF, located at the heart of J-PARC, is one of the world's leading centers for pulsed neutron and muon beam based research.
JRR-3, which has been the center of neutron facility in Japan for a long time, is just in a walking distance from MLF. It is still under inspection after the big earthquake in 2011 so we will just visit it to study various neutron instruments.
The 9th AONSA Neutron School/The 2nd Neutron and Muon School is aimed at post-graduate students and early-career researchers who are interested in, but have limited or no experience with neutron and muon beam based techniques.
The School will consist of introductory lectures on neutron and muon science and the application of neutron and muon beams in research. It will also include hands-on experience using the MLF instruments and instruction in data analysis.
School office: AONSA-School[at]ml.post.kek.jp (Please exchange "[at]" for "@")
The School is sponsored by:
- Asia-Oceania Neutron Scattering Association (AONSA)
- The Japanese Society for Neutron Science (JSNS)
- Society of Muon and Meson Science of Japan
- J-PARC Center (J-PARC MLF)
- Materials Sciences Research Center and Nuclear Human Resource Development Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA)
- High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK)
- Institute of Materials Structure Science, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (IMSS KEK)
- Comprehensive Research Organization for Science and Society (CROSS)
- The Institute for Solid State Physics,The University of Tokyo (ISSP)
- Ibaraki University
- Industrial Users Society for Neutron Application
- Ibaraki Prefecture
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)