Announcement of the J-PARC MLF 2017B General Use Proposal Round
Call for Proposals
J-PARC MLF and CROSS are pleased to announce that the 2017B General Use proposal round will be open from Wednesday 17 May 2017.
Researchers wishing to conduct experiments at any of the MLF neutron or muon beamlines during 2017B (November 2017- March 2018) are invited to submit proposals via the J-PARC Proposal Submission System by the deadline below:
2017B General Use Proposal Submission Deadline:
17:00 (JST) Wednesday 7 June, 2017
* Demand on the Proposal Submission System is typically very high on the day that applications close. You are strongly recommended to submit your proposal well in advance of the deadline.
- Expected beam power in 2017B is 300 kW.
- When submitting the proposal, please use the latest application form.
For Non-Proprietary Use / For Proprietary Use:
- Students cannot be the Principal Investigator on a proposal. See here for more information on applicant eligibility.
- Within 60 days after the completion of the research, the principal investigators except those of proprietary proposals are required to submit Experimental Reports. These Reports are to be open to public on the J-PARC Web site.
- Intent to Publish: As a condition of performing nonproprietary research, J-PARC MLF requires users to publish results from their research within 3 years after the completion of the experiment. Authorship of publications based on research from the facility should reflect the normal considerations of recognizing collaborations. It is also important to take into account the considerable efforts of the instrument scientists in their role of designing, constructing, and/or operating the instrument and related facilities. Proprietary users are not required to publish.
- The assessment of proposals will take into account whether Experiment Reports for previous beamtime allocations have been submitted as required.
- The web publication of the extract of the approved and conducted proposals shall contain the following information. (Non-proprietary Use, Proprietary Use)
Proposal number, PI’s Name, Affiliation, Nationality of the PI’s affiliation, Beamline number, Assigned beamtime.
Title of Proposal, Allocated Beamtime
- Again in the 2017B proposal round, applicants will be asked to indicate if their research has affinity with the Japanese national priority research areas as identified in the Elements Strategy Initiative. Similarly, applicants will be asked if their proposed research includes, or is likely to include in the future, the complementary use of other major research facilities such as, but not limited to, synchrotron radiation sources (SPring-8, SACLA, PF etc.), supercomputer (K computer etc.), or other quantum beam facilities. If either of the above applies to your proposal, please indicate by marking the relevant tick box and adding a brief description as requested. The data is used only for the attitude survey.
- Proprietary Use Charge is 2,983,000 JPY / day
Other important information
·Eligibility criteria [Who can apply for beamtime at the MLF?]
·New User Promotion
·The proposal submission and assessment system
J-PARC Center Users’ Office
For Non-Proprietary Use: j_proposal*ml.j-parc.jp
For Proprietary Use: j_proposal_p*ml.j-parc.jp
For General Questions: jimurisoku*ml.j-parc.jp
Instruments available in 2017B at a glance…
- BL11 PLANET – Structural analysis of materials under high pressure
- BL18 SENJU – Extreme environment single crystal diffraction
Nano-structure analysis (Reflectometry and SANS)
- BL15 TAIKAN – Small and wide angle neutron scattering
- BL17 SHARAKU – Polarized neutron reflectometer (vertical geometry)
- BL22 RADEN – Energy resolved neutron imaging system
See here for more details of Neutron Instruments and beamline contacts.