Important safety considerations regarding proposal submission
The experimental area of any major user facility is a complex work environment that presents many potential hazards. Careful management of these hazards is essential in order to guarantee the safety of all facility staff and users.
At the MLF, safety is our top priority. We ask, therefore, that in preparing your experimental proposal you read carefully and comply with the following requests.
The MLF reserves the right to suspend or cancel experimental activities if these and other safety requirements are not observed.
1. Equipment, apparatus or instruments that you plan to bring to the MLF
When preparing your experimental proposal, please be sure to provide a detailed description of any equipment or apparatus that you will bring to the MLF and how you intend to use it.
If you are planning to bring to the MLF any equipment or instrument such as those listed below, be sure to discuss your experimental requirements with the beamline staff before submitting your proposal:
- Electrical equipment
- Furnaces or heating apparatus of any kind
- Pressure cells, tensometers or any other apparatus that imparts a mechanical load on the sample
- Magnetic field generators
- High-output light sources (lasers, emission lamps etc.)
In your proposal, please include the following information:
- Name, description and specifications of the equipment/apparatus.
- How the equipment will be positioned and integrated at the beamline.
- The spatial, electrical, or other requirements of the equipment.
In addition, be sure to describe any potential hazards associated with the introduction and/or use of the equipment and how you plan to address them.
2. Samples and chemical reagents
You must consult with the beamline staff before submitting your proposal if you intend to bring to the MLF any samples or chemical reagents that are:
- Explosive; or
- Materials that, under experimental conditions, may decompose and/or generate gas
Your cooperation is appreciated.
» Back to Call for Proposals